Monday, August 17, 2009

First Day of School!

...for the kids, actually. =)

This makes it the second consecutive year that I've had twenty girls with different names. I love having distinct names like Ashtin and Irene, and Faith. It gives me the urge to start writing a comic book with each of them as characters. Such sweet ladies!

Major thing came in the mail for me this week, but let me explain why it's so cool. My friend Jul and I are setting ourselves a goal to become better comic artists (to better perfect my long-term goal with animation) and she'd recommended me this graphic novel entitled Blankets, by Craig Thompson. I'd never heard of it before, but she told me it's one of the best-illustrated novels she's ever read. This past week, I've been pumping myself this graphic novels class I'd be sitting in on with the IMSA kids this semester... and when I emailed the professor about book recommendations, he mentioned Blankets!

So naturally, I had to get it.

Okay, before I comment on it... let me just say that the size of this thing confirms my utter love and appreciation for the graphic novels genre. It's roughly takes up the same mass as Gone with the Wind (which is also currently sitting on my coffee table) and it's a pure black-and-white comic from beginning to end. Now I'd read b/w graphic novels before, such as Persepolis by Marjane Satrapi that deals with coming-of-age experiences of the respective author, and Blankets takes it to a whole different level. I've only read the first two chapters, and thus far I'm really enveloped by the way this guy can draw & write about his rough childhood... how he was bullied, isolated, and pushed into this deep depression. It isn't until he finds true love when he finally begins to get out of that black hole. =)

I love the book so far, and I recommend it to anyone who's interested in graphic novels. I'll comment more about it when I'm done. My animation class starts next week. Yay!

No comments:

Post a Comment