Thursday, September 10, 2009

I still haven't seen 9.



This is such a shameless plug, but the movie looks awwwesome. Imagine Coraline and Nightmare Before Christmas warped 1000 years into the future: a post-apocalyptic place where everyday household items have transformed into deadly machines. Machines rule our dark and polluted world... and they're hungry for human life-spark... which is unfortunately imbedded inside each of these adorable looking rag dolls. 0_O

Yeah, this film brings out the inner animation nerd in me, because just the story and graphics show the extent to which 3D animation has evolved. It's not all harmless bunnies and butterflies anymore. Hellz no. Things can get pretty violent and intense if done right, which is why I think it's my favorite film genre. =) Dark stories like this remind me of the good ole' days of Don Bluth, back in the 90s. Remember The Secret of NIMH? All Dogs go to Heaven? There some dark scenes in there that I didn't understand as a kid, but now seeing them again makes me realize how 'human' some of these characters were.

Anyway, I entered a contest: Designing a Creature for 9. Deviantart.com was promoting the film by asking people to design a creature inspired by the machine monsters we see in the movie! Here's the rough draft sketch of what I came up with:



Can you guess what it's made of?

1 comment: